Thursday, September 24, 2009

Square Deal

A wise man who "spoke soflty and carried a big stick..." once said to a group of veterans,"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal after wards. More than that no man is entitled, and less than that no man shall have." This Man's name...Franklin Roosevelt.
I for one will agree, while I did my time I was given a square deal. I had complete Medical (albeit shitty) Dental (butchers of the mouth) Life insurance and a retirement plan (I wasn't physically able to stomach that shit they were feeding me, so I didn't get the plan). I was promised 36months of schooling that I had to pay alittle bit every month, It was the Montgomery G.I. Bill.
Let's skip forward, past my 26months in Iraq, past my Stop Loss, Past my first 10%Disability check to now. I'm sitting in an apartment that I've spent all my money paying rent on. I'm enrolled in a good junior college, somehow the VA is paying for the school part, but I have no Basic Allowed Housing check to keep the lights on, the water running or the roof over my head for that matter.

Who do I have to beg? Who's hand do I have to shake? How poor do I have to be in order to get help with this shit? I've done my service to my country, I wasn't drafted or forced to sign my name to anything. I joined the Army, I was the one who volunteered so defend the borders and ideals of this proud and great nation.

Help me Mr. President, I want my handout, the only difference is mine isn't a hand out. It's an entitlement. I find It ironic that in order to qualify for poverty this year the income is set at $21,000, I made $12,500 my first year in the army, about $20,000 my third and finally broke the poverty bracket my fourth year in the Army at a whopping $23,000. I NEVER qualified for welfare, food stamps or government housing.

I love the Government. It's said that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but I've only gotten the shaft. Isn't funny how that works?

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy, stoploss backpay is on the way. I know you'll get a good chunk from that. Also, don;t give up your studies. Don't let this hiccup slow you down. I'm certain that once everything gets caught up, the VA will get their shit together and the process will be smoothed over for the next and every after semester.

    ReplyDelete