Tuesday, September 1, 2009

1st day of school

My first day of school started at 4pm. It lasted till 8:15pm, I can actually say that I didn't enjoy it. Every teacher spent her time telling us about the class expectations and the rules...here's a shocker everyone has the EXACT SAME STANDARD!!! Hmmm, weird. Go figure.
My History class is taught by a slightly overweight 20 something lady who has a sarcastic sense of humor, this is a good thing. She can talk around 8000words a minute, this is a bad thing. I'm looking foward to it actually. She wants us to be sucessful in her class, or so she says. My math class is taught by a high school teacher, she is out there. The lady talks to herself, won't look people in the eye and has no sense of humor, all bad things. Not going to be fun. She was asking questions and putting them on the board, I and my big mouth happened to be the only one to answer 99% of the time. She put up a bunch of formulas on how to find area and distance, I almost shit a brick...A high school teacher, a high school book and a bunch of algebra flunkies, I'm in high school algebra again. Damn did I get screwed. I am at least 5yrs older than everyone, almost 6 in some cases. Well, I remember high school, i remember how much shit you can get away with, she starts asking where else could we find formulas. (You must remember, I am the only one in the class who's said a word up until this point) I pop off with, "In the baby food isle?" Immediately the entire class erupts in laughter, she doesn't really get it. I tune her out the rest of her class.
My english teacher is remarkably not english. Almost one of the farthest things from it. She comes from the east, India, packistan or one of those countrys where no one really speaks very good english. I actually fell asleep within the first 20mins of her welcome-to-my-class speach. (None of my words are appearing to be spelled right to me right now) She turned on a movie called Freedom Writers, it's so far a good movie (I'd recomend it to anyone who wants to see a decent drama) which made me think of all the bloggers out there telling their point of view and not worring about being hunted down and beaten. Got to love America. I think I'm going to pop in a movie, grab a beer and call it a night.


"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?" -Buddha

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time. Like Basic Training and the apprehension most feel when they start, it in time turns into an experience that is looked back upon favorably. Don't expect much from a math teacher. Just do you work and move on in 15 weeks. In college, English is less about how to speak than it is about forming your thoughts on paper in a coherent, well defined, structurally sound manner. Try not to focus on her DIALECT, but more on her actions. Just like in the Army - some FO's could barely utter English into a hand mic, but when it came to the physical gruntiness of being a fister, they could get it done. Lastly, enjoy your History class. I'd recommend a good 20th century American History class...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandon,
    I think you are too smart for school! Hang in there guy. I love the "formula" joke, that made me laugh (a lot!) Don't worry about being older, just do what you have to do to get through, get the grade and get out. Take care Fox 3...thank you for your kind words regarding my son. It means a lot to me. I am rooting for you Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So negative! I think you went in expecting to dislike it...understandable though. It isn't easy to go back to school with a bunch of young kids who have no idea what real life is like, let alone what going to war is like. Most kids at school looked at me like I was a pregnant teenager and then when they found out my husband was in Iraq they'd always say thing like, "oh my gosh, that's so awful. how do you make it through the day?" to which I'd want to reply "well, you know, crying myself to sleep at night. WTF do you think?!"

    Anyway, hang in there. Make sure you take a class you WANT to take each semester that can be what you look forward to each week and enjoy. BTW-let me know when you take a biology class..I teach it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're IN CLASS...however boring some of them may be. I didn't understand a SINGLE word uttered by my statistics class professor. I later found out that seemed to have been a universal experience. Enjoy the history class at least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great joke! Made me laugh too. Hopefully things will get better, the first day junk is just that...junk! Im glad you are on your way though. Takes guts to go back, and nerves of steel not to kill all the know-it-all kids that have never had to do anything for themselves before! The advantage of being older means you now have perspective and discipline on your side too. Keep your chin up and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when I went to college I was 6 or 7 years older than everybody else to, it does not really matter. Your joke was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandon,

    If you get a chance, I wanted to talk to you about something, I've been in the last six years. Drop me a line at: MassCasualties.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude this is kinda funny that I found your page. I typed in the post 9/11 GI bill is fucked up, and your blog came up. Anyway congrats on going to school I have been out of the army since 2007 and have been going to school as well. I went to Baghdad at one of the shittiest times in OIF 5 and 6 so I do know your pain, but I will tell you this and it helps me get through my day. Every time you see one of these 18 year olds and think god I am so much older than you, just say to yourself "fuck that poser ass little bitch, i hope she gets intestinal worms and dies" after that I have a little laugh and go one my day. Well dude, I hope you start to enjoy school and even if you don't find something you like about it. I will be praying for ya cause I know how hard it is. keep it up and never quit.

    ReplyDelete