Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Eulogy

I recently exited the National Guard after serving 3 years. I never deployed with them, it was a means to an end. I joined because they waved some cash in my face and said I wouldn't have to deploy. Before that I served about 5yrs active duty. In that time I met some of the best people in the world(I'm biased). When I first joined the Army I did something most 19-20yr old individuals never have to do. I had a will created. That was 8 years ago. I look back and question if I made a good impact on my leaders and soldiers lives. What would people say about me in a eulogy? Would people reveal my inner kindness? The pain I've felt at the small things? Whether or not they thought I was a "bad-ass"?
I know it's a morbid subject, but recently I've been looking back at my life, like Socrates advocated, trying to understand where I'm coming from and where I've been. These things are important to me, I want to impact peoples lives for the better, I don't want to be that guy that causes someone to hold a grudge against me. I know that I can hold one better than most, so trust me, it's not worth it.

To whoever writes my eulogy, in public you don't have to tell the truth about me, just leave the negative out of the speech in front of my family. Away from my family, say whatever you'd like. Thank you

1 comment:

  1. I visit here because your inner kindness AND your badassness strikes a cord with me. I am glad that you continued to write and share thoughts & feelings. Most people your age don't think in terms of "where are we going ultimately". The military life brings it to the front because of war and the fact of dying is a real possibility. The truth of the matter is that is a fact in every-one's life. Thinking, as you are, about the length and breadth of your life, will make yours a better life lived. If every person stopped and had to look at his or her life like that it would be a better world. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete